Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The Arts- To Have or Not to Have


What is really going on? Since when is it okay to kill an entire school systems art programs? As of today the Detroit Public School Board is eliminating accompanists. At all schools including but not limited to Detroit School of the Arts ( does that makes sense), Cass Technical High School, Martin Luther King Jr. High School, Duke Ellington School of the Arts (a middle school) and there are many more. The first set will be fired in November and the remainder in December. This means no solo and ensemble festivals, no winter concerts, no spring concerts, no Evening of Fine Arts, need I go on? I am a product of the Detroit Public School system, Cass Technical High School to be exact. Majored in vocal music and loved every minute of it. The music keep me focused and gave me the opportunity to express myself when I had no other outlet. What are our children to do?

The school board says that there is no money in the budget for these jobs yet the budget for 2007-2008 has already been adopted with these jobs being included. Who are they trying to fool? Why is it okay to kill the arts but then wonder why your children are incomplete? Wonder why they are unable to adapt to any situation. Tell me what the hell do you want us to do??
As we sit and try to understand this foolishness there are board members and staff in the Khan Building receiving 6 and 7 figure salaries. Why don't they take the $35,000 cut from their salaries instead of eliminating theses jobs. Some of these employees have been working for over 20 years and now you see no us for them .

When approached about the cut it was said that the piano players were not needed. Who the hell are the piano players? This is not the bar or the club!!! They are accompanist not just piano players.

I feel very strongly about this no only because I am a product of the Detroit Public School system but also because my mother teaches in the system and my children attend the schools. How do we expect for our children to compete in the world? What am I to say to my daughter when she can not dance because there is no one to play or my son wants to sing? Is he to sing acappela forever? or is she to dance with no music? Have we not produced civilized adults from the arts? Charles Wilson, Chad Hughes, Ozell Wells, Connell Brown, Lakindra Parker, Lawrence Whitney, Brandon Whitney, Shondriette Kelley, Diana Ross, Martha Reeves, Javon Long, Brandon Lee, LaDarryl "Jig" Hart, Andante Valentine....need I say more??? All products of Detroit Public Schools.

Wake up the world is moving as we are standing still.
DO NOT REMAIN SILENT!!!!!!
We can not sit and allow this to continue.
See the link for the 2007-2008 Detroit Public School budget. Lets ask some questions!!!!

No comments: